Childbirth Education classes with Marcela Xavier are designed to prepare you for birth and provide support from your community along the way.
This comprehensive evidence-based 12 hour class covers pregnancy, childbirth, newborn care, breastfeeding and the postpartum period. The class includes:
- Choosing a health care provider that is right for you and which questions to ask.
- The physiology of pregnancy, labor, and birth; including the stages and phases of labor and how to recognize when it’s to go to the hospital or birth center or have your midwife come to you.
- Nutrition for pregnancy, birth, and postpartum
- Techniques for coping with labor, including movement and massage techniques. We will practice breath work, vocalization and more.
- Risks/benefits of common medical interventions used in pregnancy and childbirth, and strategies on how to avoid unnecessary medical interventions and to minimize the chances of having a cesarean birth.
- Breastfeeding and preparing for the postpartum period.
- Resources, handouts, and supplemental materials
Marcela is the founder and director of Bread and Yoga, and a mother of two. She is an an experienced prenatal yoga teacher and teacher trainer, and has been working with families as a Holistic Health Counselor for 10+ years. Marcela is also a labor support doula attending births in hospitals, birth centers, and home births in NYC and Westchester. She has been honored to work under the guidance and mentorship of Mary Esther Malloy as a childbirth educator.
Marcela is incredibly present and giving. She emphasizes options to have the kind of birth you know is right for you and your baby. Never once did we feel pressured or inclined to think there’s a wrong or a right way to go through this process of pregnancy, labor & delivery. Also my fear about the unknown has drastically subsided! The week after our Childbirth Education intensive, I ran into a friend who had done his classes with his wife at a hospital. He asked me if mine was as useless as theirs was. He vented to me about all the things “they don’t tell you:” How theirs left them cluess about anatomy, the signposts of intensity, and all of the interventions they assumed were routine or necessary. The thought of options or asking questions were only things they learned after the birth of their daughter from going through it. In my Childbirth classes, Marcela covered all of this and more. It was then that I realized just how amazingly honest, informative and empowering our class was. –Briana P.
Before arriving in Marchela’s Bread & Yoga Childbirth Class, fears and facts wouldn’t stop rattling around my head. Marcela did more than provide information; she constructed a clear narrative and understanding of what we might encounter during birth. Marcela’s calm, informative teaching encouraged feelings of love and support between my partner and I, and we left every class glowing with excitement, anticipation, and sometimes laughter. Thank you for allowing me to face my fears head on! It feels as though a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. –Monica W.
If the following dates don’t work for you, please email us about private childbirth classes at firstname.lastname@example.org.